Free Shipping 30 Day Free Trial Buy Now, Pay Later
Orthodontic treatment can be a lengthy and often uncomfortable process. Traditional braces or aligners require patients to wear them for months or even years to achieve the desired results. However, with advancements in technology, there is now a way to speed up this process and make it more comfortable – red light therapy sessions.
Explanation of orthodontic treatment and its benefits
Orthodontic treatment is a common procedure for correcting dental issues such as crooked teeth, overcrowding, and misalignment. It involves the use of braces or aligners to gradually move and straighten the teeth into their desired position. This not only improves the appearance of a person’s smile but also has numerous health benefits.
Firstly, orthodontic treatment can improve one’s overall oral health by making it easier to clean and maintain the teeth. Crooked or overcrowded teeth can often create traps for food and bacteria, leading to a higher risk of tooth decay and gum disease. By straightening the teeth, these risks are significantly reduced.
Secondly, orthodontic treatment can also improve the function of the jaw and bite. Misaligned teeth can cause an uneven distribution of chewing forces, leading to excessive wear and tear on certain teeth. This can result in tooth damage or even jaw pain and headaches. By correcting the alignment of the teeth, the bite is restored to its proper function.
Finally, orthodontic treatment has a positive impact on one’s self-esteem and confidence. Many people feel self-conscious about their crooked or misaligned teeth, which can affect their social interactions and overall well-being. By improving the appearance of their smile, individuals often feel more confident and comfortable in social situations.
Importance of reducing the length of treatment to improve patient experience
While traditional orthodontic treatment can take anywhere from 18 months to 3 years, there is a growing demand for faster and more efficient treatment options. This is where red light therapy comes into play. Red light therapy, also known as low-level laser therapy (LLLT), has been proven to accelerate the movement of teeth during orthodontic treatment.
By using red light therapy sessions in conjunction with traditional orthodontic treatment, patients can see a significant reduction in the overall length of their treatment. This not only saves time and money, but it also improves the overall patient experience.
Additionally, shorter treatment times mean fewer appointments and adjustments, making it more convenient for busy individuals. This also reduces the risk of potential complications that could arise from prolonged treatment.
Did You Know Infrared Light can be used to Speed up Teeth Straightening?
Yes, it’s true! Infrared light therapy has been found to have a similar effect as red light therapy in speeding up orthodontic treatment. Infrared light has a longer wavelength and is able to penetrate deeper into the tissues, promoting healing and cellular regeneration.
Studies have shown that when used in combination with traditional orthodontic treatment, infrared light can significantly reduce the overall treatment time. This is due to its ability to stimulate the bone remodeling process, which is crucial for teeth movement.
Light energy and the application in orthodontics
A simple example of light energy is photosynthesis — the process of chemical energy fueling plant organisms’ activity such as growth. Human cells, particularly mitochondria, also have the ability to absorb photons from light to enhance cellular activity.
This general philosophy correlates to the light energy conversions of photobiomodulation: “The application of therapeutic light in the near-infrared wavelength (NIR) range (600 nm-1000 nm) generated by using low-energy laser or light-emitting diode (LED).” Photobiomodulation has been observed to increase mitochondrial metabolism.1 This process can be used in orthodontics to help benefit the biological effects in stressed tissues as teeth are moved.
Accelerated orthodontics using photobiomodulation
Accelerated orthodontics is a revolutionary approach that uses photobiomodulation to speed up the movement of teeth during orthodontic treatment. Photobiomodulation, also known as red light therapy, involves using specific wavelengths of light to stimulate cellular activity and promote healing in the body.
In terms of orthodontic treatment, this technology works by targeting the cells responsible for bone remodeling and tooth movement. By exposing these cells to red light, their metabolic activity is increased, leading to faster bone regeneration and tooth movement.
Studies have shown that using red light therapy in orthodontic treatment can reduce the overall time of treatment by up to 50%. This is because the technology not only accelerates the cellular processes involved in tooth movement but also helps to reduce inflammation and pain associated with traditional orthodontic treatment.
Moreover, accelerated orthodontics using photobiomodulation is a non-invasive and safe procedure with no known side effects. It is a painless and gentle approach that can be used for patients of all ages, making it an excellent alternative for those who may not be suitable candidates for other methods such as surgery.
Benefits of Red Light Therapy for Orthodontic Treatment
Faster Treatment Time
By using red light therapy in orthodontic treatment, patients can enjoy much shorter treatment times compared to traditional methods. This means they can achieve a beautiful smile in a fraction of the time it would take with braces alone.
Moreover, this also reduces the risk of potential complications that could arise from prolonged treatment, making it a safer option for patients.
Reduced Pain and Discomfort
Orthodontic treatment can be uncomfortable at times, especially when braces are tightened or adjusted. Red light therapy has been found to reduce inflammation and pain associated with orthodontic treatment, making it a more comfortable experience for patients.
Additionally, red light therapy promotes healing and cellular regeneration, which can further alleviate any discomfort and speed up the recovery process.
Improved Overall Patient Experience
With faster treatment times, reduced pain and discomfort, and a non-invasive approach, red light therapy offers an improved overall patient experience. Patients can achieve their desired results in less time while feeling more comfortable throughout the process.
This also means fewer appointments and adjustments, making it convenient for busy individuals to fit orthodontic treatment into their schedules.
In addition to the benefits mentioned above, using red light therapy in conjunction with traditional orthodontic treatment can also be a cost-effective option for patients. With shorter treatment times, this means fewer visits to the orthodontist and potentially lower overall treatment costs.
Furthermore, by reducing the risk of potential complications, patients can save on any additional costs that may arise from prolonged treatment. This makes red light therapy a viable and valuable option for individuals seeking orthodontic treatment.
📢 SPECIAL OFFER: Get FREE shipping for any VELLGUS red light therapy device!
How to Maximize the Benefits of Red Light Therapy for Orthodontic Treatment
Incorporating Red Light Therapy into Your Daily Routine
- Make sure to use the red light therapy device for the recommended amount of time each day, usually around 10-15 minutes.
- Create a relaxing and comfortable environment during your red light therapy sessions by playing calming music or using aromatherapy.
- Try incorporating facial exercises while using the red light therapy device to enhance the effects and promote facial muscle relaxation.
Maintaining Good Oral Hygiene
- Keep up with regular brushing and flossing to ensure optimal oral health during orthodontic treatment using red light therapy.
- Consider using a mouthwash or rinse that contains natural anti-inflammatory ingredients to help reduce any irritation caused by braces.
- Schedule regular dental cleanings to maintain good oral hygiene and ensure that the red light therapy is effectively targeting the intended areas of treatment.
Eating Nutritious Foods
- Consume foods high in calcium, vitamin D, and other essential nutrients to promote strong teeth and bones during orthodontic treatment with red light therapy.
- Avoid sugary and sticky foods that can cause damage to braces and increase the risk of tooth decay.
- Consider incorporating foods that are known to have anti-inflammatory properties, such as turmeric and ginger, into your diet to further enhance the effects of red light therapy.
Staying Active and Engaging in Physical Therapy
- Regular physical activity can help maintain bone strength and promote healthy teeth, making it an excellent complement to orthodontic treatment with red light therapy.
- Consider incorporating exercises that target the jaw and facial muscles to further enhance the effects of red light therapy on tooth movement.
Tips for Making Red Light Therapy Sessions More Effective
Timing: Scheduling red light therapy sessions at the right time during orthodontic treatment can maximize its benefits. For example, aligning appointments with key stages of tooth movement or using it before and after adjustments can help speed up the process.
Duration: The length of time for each red light therapy session can also play a role in its effectiveness. It is recommended to have consistent and longer sessions for optimal results 15-20 mins.
Frequency: Consistency is key when it comes to red light therapy. Scheduling regular sessions throughout the duration of orthodontic treatment can ensure that the cells responsible for tooth movement are consistently stimulated for faster results.
Proper Application: It’s essential to follow proper techniques when using red light therapy in orthodontic treatment. This includes positioning the light at the correct distance and angle, as well as using the appropriate wavelength for maximum absorption.
THE #1 RATED RED LIGHT DEVICE
THE #1 RATED FULL BODY RED LIGHT DEVICE
📢 SPECIAL OFFER: Get FREE shipping for any VELLGUS red light therapy device!
There have been numerous studies conducted on the use of red light therapy in various medical fields, including orthodontics. One study in particular found that patients who received red light therapy during their orthodontic treatment experienced significantly less inflammation and pain compared to those who did not receive the treatment.
Furthermore, a study published in the Journal of Clinical Orthodontics showed that red light therapy helped to accelerate tooth movement and shorten the overall treatment time by an average of 60 days. This is a significant reduction in treatment time, especially for individuals who may not have the luxury of spending years on orthodontic treatment.
Another study published in Progress in Orthodontics found that red light therapy was effective in reducing discomfort associated with orthodontic treatment, leading to improved patient compliance and satisfaction.
These studies, along with many others, highlight the potential benefits of red light therapy in orthodontic treatment. By reducing inflammation and promoting wound healing, this technology can significantly improve the overall patient experience and make orthodontic treatment more efficient and effective.
Photobiomodulation in orthodontics is an exciting next frontier for our profession. It has the potential to revolutionize the way we approach and carry out orthodontic treatment, providing patients with shorter treatment times and a more comfortable experience. With ongoing research and advancements in technology, red light therapy is sure to play a significant role in the future of orthodontics.
So why not incorporate it into your practice today and see the benefits for yourself?
If you liked this article, check out this Does Red Light Therapy Help With Hair Growth?
- Zhang R, Mio Y, Pratt PF, et al. Near infrared light protects cariomyocytes from hypoxia and reoxygenation injury by a nitric oxide dependent mechanism. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2009;46(1):4-14.
- Ad N, Oron U. Impact of low level laser irradiation on infarct size in the rat following myocardial infarction. Int J Cardiol. 2001;(2-3):109-116.
- Oron U, Illic S , De Taboada L, Streeter J. GA-As (808 nm) laser irradiation enhances ATP production in human neuronal cells in culture. Photomed Laser Surg. 2007;25(3):180-182.
- Kau CH, Kantarci A, Shaughnessy T, et al. Photobiomodulation accelerates orthodontic alignment in the early phase of treatment. Prog Orthod. 2013;14:30.
- Nimeri G, Kau CH, Corona R, Shelly J Clin Cosmet Investig Dent. 2014:6.
- Chiari S, Baloul S, Goguet-Surmenian E, Dyke T, Kantarci A. Photobiomodulation-induced tooth movement using etra-oral transcutaneous phototherapy on rat periodontium. In review.
- Ekizer A, Uysal T, Güray E, Akkuş D. Effect of LED-mediated-photobiomodulation therapy on orthodontic tooth movement and root resorption in rats. Lasers Med Sci. 2015;30(2):779-785.